Scam calls are prevalent around the world. To mitigate spoof calls, here are some useful tips on preventing scam calls:
1. Blocking unknown spam call numbers on mobile devices.
iOS (Calls & SMS)
- Tap the blue “i” info icon beside the scam caller or sender. (Additional step for SMS: Tap the name of the sender.)
- Scroll down the contact card and tap Block this Caller.
- Open your Phone app.
- Go to Recent Contacts. Tap the contact number to block.
- Tap Details or "I"
- Tap the three vertical dots, usually at your screen’s top right.
- Tap Block Number (or Contact).
2. Practicing discretion when picking up calls from private numbers, overseas (if you are not expecting a call from overseas) or unknown prefix.
Customers in Singapore are advised that for local calls, there will not be a ‘+’ prefix (Example 1) and international calls have a ‘+’ prefix (Example 2).
3. If you receive suspicious unsolicited phone calls or automated voice messages, you should hang up immediately and not provide or share personal details and passwords with unknown callers.
4. Avoid providing your main contact details in contests and lucky draw applications.
Organizations may provide offers, discounts, or lucky draw opportunities to individuals that are conditional on the collection, use or disclosure of their personal data for specified purposes.